8.05.2010

Last Day at Huntsman

My last day of work at Huntsman Cancer Hospital was on July 16. I couldn't believe it was finally over. I really, REALLY loved taking care of the patients on the 5th floor. These patients were so strong, and had overcome so much. The majority of them were on the road to recovery, and a better quality of life. It was a really good feeling to know that I had, in some small way, influenced their lives for the better. This is really why I wanted to be a nurse - to have that sort of influence. Even if the patients don't always know it, and even if I don't always recognize that influence, it is nice to see the patients to improve by leaps and bounds and you know that you helped. My good friend Victoria, who also graduated from Westminster, took me to lunch at the Bistro (really good food, by the way). The day was pretty weird, because I was orienting someone on my last day, but the end was great. I didn't plan on anyone really caring that I was leaving, but when I was about to walk out, almost all the nurses, secretaries, and aides gathered round and gave me hugs and a loaf of bread and a card. I cried all night! I worked at HCH for three and a half years, and it was really my home. On to new adventures. On to new experiences! Thanks for the memories!

No comments: