8.05.2010

The Dreaded NCLEX

I signed up to take the NCLEX-RN on July 1st. The turning point for my entire life (or so it seemed). It was this test that would determine whether or not I would become a nurse after four hard years of endless tests, clinical work, and papers. I was so freaked out. So so so freaked out. I had a little over two weeks from the time I registered to the time I could take it. The time was spent studying like a mad-woman - I studied my Saunder's NCLEX preparation book and my HURST prep book. In between all the studying I watched BONES, my new favorite TV show, and tried to get ready to move. :) Hey, I needed a little break every now and then!

The day before, I completely did whatever the heck I wanted. I didn't study at all! Jordan and I went and saw Toy Story 3, a great movie by the way, and then went to find the testing center so that my drive wouldn't have any surprises the next morning. There was major road construction (thanks, Utah), so I had to ditch the map from Google and use my memory.

I did everything normal the next morning, getting ready and eating the same breakfast as always. I didn't want to jinx myself. I made it over to the testing center in Draper with a few minutes to spare, so I used that time to seriously pray and get a few last minute studying in. There were 14 nursing students there ready to take the test. The moderators scanned our palms, fingers, took our picture, emptied our pockets, and then gave us a white board to write on, a black dry erase marker, and some ear plugs. It was pretty quiet in the testing center, but I put the ear plugs in anyways plus the headphones from the computer.

With the NCLEX, you can have a minimum of 75 questions up to a maximum of 265 questions. Or anywhere in between. It depends on how you are answering, whether you are above the line or below the line. Even if you end at 75, you don't really know how you've been doing because you could have answered them all bad or all right. You also have 6 hours to do it all in, which gives you a minute and a half-ish for each question.

So I'm going along, going VERY slow, and taking my time to read the question and answers at least 3 times each. I was freaked out. I got all these questions on nursing leadership and how to determine if someone you taught learned what you taught them. It was crazy. I got like one drug question and 3 intake and output questions. Lots of prioritization questions. I took a 15 minute break around question 60 and sat outside and drank some water. Then I came back in, ready to rock and roll! I reached question 75, and when I pushed the "next" button, it kept going. BOO!! I kindof started to speed up at this point, because I mentally planned to get all 265 questions, and I only had four hours left. Then I reached question 90 and the computer just stopped. Stopped!! I was done??!?! Ahh, what does this mean!??? The computer had me do a survey and then I raised my hand and the moderator came and collected my materials.

I WAS FREAKED OUT!!! I was sure I had failed. Absolutely positive. If I failed, then I would have to come back to Utah from Virginia to take it again in 60 days! And I would have to study more and face the dreaded test again! I was not looking forward to this. So I drove myself home and freaked out for a couple more days. Jordan was sure I passed, as well as my mom. I couldn't wait for the 2-day window to pass, then I could check my status online. So, on July 3, I logged into the NCLEX website, and the first word I saw was...

PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!
:D :D :D

Ahh what a relief! What a good feeling - I am officially a nurse! Heck freaking yes!

1 comment:

Stelanie said...

I knew you had nothing to worry about! (Haha, thats easy for me to say) Good job hon!