9.25.2010

The New Job...Finally!

Well, it's official! I got the job at a rehabilitation center in the West End of Richmond. The Director of Nursing (DON) called me on Tuesday and offered me not a part-time job, but a FULL-TIME job!! I was so ecstatic! This means I won't have to search around for another job any more. I'm going to be eligible for benefits too, which I've never had in my life. The center is only 1 mile away from my house; it literally takes me 5 minutes to drive there. I had orientation yesterday, and I was the only RN there. It looks like there are four wings, with an RN Charge Nurse (CN), two LPN's (licensed practical nurses), and several CNA's (certified nursing assistants). I'll be on one of the rehab units. And oh my, the rehab facility is SOOOOOOO nice! They just built it and it cost 4 million. They have everything down there! These patients are taken care of very well.

I have been getting my "nursing bag" ready for work. It will have all my papers, clipboards, stethoscope, highlighters, pens, snacks, peppermints, masks, essential oil...all good nursing stuff. The only downside I've really found to this job is that I have to wear ALL WHITE. Boo. The problem with white is that it gets dirty so easily. Thank goodness they'll let me wear my Dansko's though (they're black).

I have another day of orientation on Wednesday where they'll test my nursing skills and medication knowledge. Then I have five days of orientation and I'm on my own! I'll be working every other weekend and three days during the week (not sure which ones yet). Yay for being a nurse...and having a job!!! :) :)

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Woot Woot! Congrats girl!

Melyn said...

Thank you Mandy!! :)

Lael said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you and especially for the patients who will benefit from your able and loving care!

Stelanie said...

That is the best! You will be great! So, so proud of you :)

Jenae said...

So, so exciting! Congratulations!

Tom and Debbie Goodwin said...

We are THRILLED for you! Hope you won't be too busy for your blog. We love your updates! Ü