9.08.2011

How We Spent Our Summer Vacation

Technically, our Summer vacation ended two months ago when I started my second year of school, so I'm really behind on telling you guys what we did while I was off from school.

First, we went to a park in Richmond called Maymont. Basically, it's a historical site plus a garden (two of Melyn's favorite things). It made for a good hike and here are some of the pictures we took there:






Next on our stop (I forget chronologically when we did these things, so it's basically a mishmash) was King's Dominion, a theme park just outside Richmond. If you haven't been to Virginia you probably have never heard of it, but it's actually quite an amazing place if you like roller coasters. We tried to make the trip "cheaper" by getting the afternoon admission, that is, if you enter the park after 4 PM it's basically half price. Well, to try and get the cheaper price and still do all the things in the park, I decided that we should go on a Tuesday when the weather forecast was predicting a thunderstorm. Who would be at the theme park then? Nobody, so it was a ghost town. We got on every ride with basically no wait at all. This planning actually turned bad for two reasons. One, we were going on roller coasters so quickly (one right after another), that we both got motion sickness (me in particular). Secondly, the weather forecast turned out to be true and did storm, which cut short our evening. Well here's some pictures we took there.





I should add that this place had some really killer roller coasters. One of them, the Intimidator 305, is one of the tallest and fastest roller coasters in the world. It has a drop so high and so steep, that your vision basically blacks out you are going so fast. Crazy!

Lastly, we went to Washington D.C. to visit the temple. Every time we go to Washington, I vow that we will never go again. The truth is, the traffic is always horrendous there, no matter the time of day, no matter which day of the week. And I'm the most impatient person when it comes to traffic, waiting in lines, etc. But, we really needed to go to the temple because it is always such an amazing experience there, especially when you don't have the convenience of a temple within your own city.




In a nutshell, that was our Summer vacation. I will now get back to studying for my microbiology exam for Monday.

3 comments:

Lyanna L. said...

I think there is a temple in North Carolina I want to go to...it is farther away (distance) but faster (time wise) or at least so I've been told.

The Peterson's said...

Oh, how I miss you both.

The Evers Family said...

I like that picture of you guys in front of the temple.