6.09.2011

Things we love about Virginia, things we miss about Utah

"Saudades" is a Portuguese word which roughly means to miss something, and that's the word I've been thinking about lately when it comes to Utah. Since I've been off from school I've had more time to think about this. I thought I might write about what I miss about Utah after being away for nearly a year.

I miss:

My family. Though it is nice to not have to go to every family function, I miss my parents, my sisters, and my adorable, rambunctious nephews. I wish could be there at least for every holiday. I wish I could have helped the Evers move into their new house, watch Josie's belly grow from her pregnancy, and play Star Wars with the little boys. Melyn, of course, misses her family a lot too.

Running. I've come to the conclusion that Richmond is a terrible place to run. At least by our house, the streets have no margins and the sidewalks are poor. Plus, running in high humidity is just hard. And there's no running trails nearby. Needless to say, it's been a lot of in-door treadmill running for me lately.

Carls Jr. and In-N-Out burger. My two favorite fast food restaurants, and they are thousands of miles away from Richmond. We have found, however, a really good BBQ place and an amazing Brazilian restaurant, but since they're pretty upscale ($$$$) we won't be going there often.

The mountains. They're beautiful, they make Salt Lake feel nice and secluded, and they are great as landmarks for your way around town (for the directionally impaired). We miss hiking there.

We do love Virginia, however, and here's a few of the things we like about it:

Warmer weather. Here it only snows from December to January, the way it should be. And if it does snow, it's only an inch or two and it melts by the next day. Plus in general we just love the warmer temperatures, even with the humidity.

Green surroundings, no inversion.

Lots of parks close by. Though they aren't suitable for running, they make for a nice stroll every once in a while.

We love the history here, we love how so many major cities are close by.

Lastly, I'm really happy at VCU and I'm glad I have the opportunity to attend school here.

3 comments:

The Peterson's said...

Jordan...I miss you so much! I miss you playing with the little boys and I know Beck misses you and Melyn too. I wish I could send you In and Out Burger in the mail and it would taste the same. I loved your comments about the directionally challenged, because, lets face it, you are. Lastly, I can't imagine running on the treadmill that much. Not fun. Loves.

Sydney Christiansen said...

I hope I make your day by giving you this information. :)
There's a ton of Carl's Jr. restaurants out here. They're called Hardee's.
Also, if you're looking for good running trails you should try Belle's Isle, Pony Pastures, or Hollywood Cemetery. Though I think you're crazy for even tempting to run outside in humidity like this. The dry air is DEFINITELY something to miss about Utah. Hope this helps you miss home a little less. :)

Melyn said...

Thanks for the running information Sydney! About the burgers - Jordan is very specific about the flavor of his burgers, and unfortunately, the Hardee's burgers just don't taste like the Carl's Jr. Burgers. Haha :)