6.17.2011

I survived MDA camp 2011

Jordan here...Just got home from Wakefield, VA after a week long summer camp with kids who have muscular dystrophy. Honestly, this was one of the toughest experiences I ever had and at times I really questioned whether it was a good idea to have volunteered for it. However, it was a great opportunity to serve and learn to have more patience and compassion.

The first day was orientation for all the counselors and we learned the basics about our responsibilities. Nothing, though, could have prepared me for what it was like to take care of my little camper, "Charlie". He arrived along with all the other kids on the second day of camp (last Sunday). He was 11 years-old and used a motorized scooter to get around. This year was his 4th time coming to camp, so he already knew what to expect. These kids were so excited to come, it's their only real opportunity to participate in activities like swimming, playing sports, and hanging out, things that other kids just take for granted. Many of the kids could still walk and stand on their own to some degree, while other kids like Charlie required help with literally everything, from changing clothes, getting ready for bed, to showering and toileting.

By the end the of the second day, I was really regretting my decision to come. The reason being it was just so tough for me to lift my camper so many times during the day. He weighed 90 lbs (and I weigh around 135). I thought that because I had been going to the gym pretty often I would be able to handle it. Obviously, I had way too much confidence in my physical strength. The thing was, he had to be lifted for every little thing, like adjusting his pants, getting in and out of bed, getting in and out of the pool, and going to the bathroom. Also, it is very awkward lifting a kid who has no muscular strength. My back was so sore by the end of the second day I was on the verge of tears. I was thinking, "I have made some bad decisions in my life, and coming to this camp is one of them." Fortunately, though, it got better. I learned little things to make it easier for me to lift and transfer him. And I think my back toughened up, though my spine has probably aged 10 years in the last 6 days. But enough about my complaints. This camp gave me greater insight into what the parents of these children have to go through to take care of them, and it is quite demanding.

The staff had put on really cool activities for the kids, like a scavenger hunt and "color wars" where the kids were divided up into the red team and blue team and competed in different events. They had swimming, a carnival, a talent show, a magic show, and a dance. I was really impressed by the people who showed up every year for years on end to help out. This whole camp is paid for by the donations to MDA. You may notice time to time little paper clovers that are put up in stores and supermarkets, and a large part of these donations go to fund activities like this summer camp around the country.

2 comments:

1runhen@comcast.net said...

WOW! I'm so proud of you. Physically and mentally exhausting. You truely gave of yourself and you survived! Thats what lifes all about.. Love, Mom

Stelanie said...

I am so impressed that you did that Jordan. I hope Melyn gave you a nice LONG massage when you got back - you deserve it!