2.21.2012

Thankful for the Gospel

Today I'm thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  This church is the only true church on the earth!  I'm so grateful that we can share the gospel with our friends.  The following is an awesome conversation I had with a lady I work with.  And FYI, she didn't know I was a Mormon.  We'd never talked about it.

Debbie: "So Melyn, do any Mormons live around you or by you?"
Me: "Debbie...I am a Mormon!"
"Oh really?  Wow!!  So was your dad a polygamist?"
"No, the church hasn't practiced polygamy since the 1800's."
"Oh, so what do you think about this whole Warren Jeffs thing?"
"Well, their church was a faction that broke off a long time ago.  They're not Mormons."
"Oh I see, so anyways, what do you guys believe??"

At this point I was kindof in a daze.  Was this really happening?

So I continued, "Well, we believe in God, and Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.  That they're three separate beings.  We also believe that Jesus died for us and that through Him, we can return to heaven someday."
"Well I believe that too!  So what makes my church different from yours?"

I gave her the mormon.org website and told her to check it out.  I hope she did.  According to the local missionaries, 75% of investigators who go to the mormon.org website take the next step - meaning they contact their local missionaries, they get a Book of Mormon, or find their local congregation.  Awesome!  I love this church and am so grateful for it!

2 comments:

Louisa said...

That's so awesome Melyn! Great job not shying away from an opportunity.

The Peterson's said...

Good for you!