8.05.2011

I'm With You



Today is my brother Que's birthday. It has been several years since he passed, but I still think about him nearly on a daily basis. We keep a teddy bear made out of one of his old shirts on a chair at home, and I think of him every time I see it. This month is special because a new Red Hot Chili Pepper album is coming out, the first one in 5 years. The only RHCP fan as big as me that I ever knew was Que.

Growing up, Que often rebelled against the same things that I liked, particularly music. However, over time he came to like many of the same bands I listened to. When I left on my mission 6 years ago, he gladly inherited my CD's and music library. When he wrote to me, he'd often talk about all the new music that was coming out that I would have liked to be listening to. My family would also record messages on little tapes that I could play on a tape recorder. I remember on one of these tapes Que recorded a few snippets from several of the songs off a new RHCP that had been just released so I could get a "preview" of what I was missing. I'll admit, I did enjoy listening to it.

Now our position is reversed; I'm able to listen the new album when it comes out while Que is off serving his mission somewhere in the spirit world. I wish I could send him a tape with a few samples of the new songs. The new album is entitled "I'm With You", and I like to think of it as a reminder that Que is indeed right here with me. The spirit world is located here on earth, I just can't see him now. We're going to have a lot to catch up on someday.

4 comments:

1runhen@comcast.net said...

So tender. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I miss you and your little brother. Its a silly comfort, but it is nice to know others are there with me. Can't wait to see you and Melyn for 36 hours next weekend. Love you

The Evers Family said...

Thank you for this post. I love you.

driftwood13@gmail.com said...

Missing and Remebering Que also. Love to you both. See you soon

anya said...

i look in on your blog every now and then... this post was so great jordan. i have tears in my eyes. just love your family so much!