7.22.2011

Being Married to a Medical Student

I seriously have been stressing about things that won't even happen for a couple years.  Namely...

1. Passing boards (happening next summer)
2. Interviewing for residencies (starting during third year)
3. Getting matched to a program for residency (happening during fourth year)
4. Possibly moving for residency program
5. FINANCES for all this...I've been researching and getting interviewed and all that jazz for residencies can cost up to $10,000!  This of course depends on how many programs you apply to and includes travel expenses, but that's so much!  I'm just going to have to get over it.  Plus, Jordan and I are thinking of starting a family soon (not in the immediate future, hold your horses) and I need to factor in the cost of a baby plus how much I will work.  Holy cow.  I get anxiety just thinking about it.  I'm seriously going to have to work full-time until we move for residency, and then I'll just work part-time (Jordan will make some money as a resident).

Breathe.  Breathe.  I've always wanted to be a SAHM but it's not going to happen.  :( This makes me very sad.  But, I need to realize that this is, for the most part, about Jordan.  His career goals.  His aspirations and desires.  We're a team, and we'll get through this.

I found another really good blog about a spouse with a career whose husband was in medical school.

1 comment:

Charity Brown said...

Hi! So, I don't know you, and it's actually funny how I ran across your blog. I am in the Richmond Branch and am considering auditioning for the Richmond Mormon Chorale. I googled it, and your post about it came up, and I skimmed your blog and saw this post.

My husband had been considering applying to medical school (he no longer is) and when he was I ran across this blog:

http://thoughtsofadoctorswife.blogspot.com/

It's seriously awesome. It's an LDS family. She has tons of advice on everything. She even finished a master's degree during her husbands med school, and had I think their 4th kid during then, too. Crazy. Anyway, I just wanted to share it with you!

Also, how do you like the Chorale? Feel free to email me!
charityvanessabrown@yahoo.com