3.21.2012

What a Lovely Time!

This vacation really was lovely.

I forgot to mention that on Monday night, Jordan and I went to go talk to a psychiatrist in his parent's ward.  He gave some amazing advice.  I need to write it all down otherwise I'll forget: Network now with people at the hospitals you want to get into (i.e., go visit and say, "I'm an up and coming resident, blah blah can you give me a tour, etc."); Do what you love; Psychiatry isn't a huge/popular field but there's a huge need, especially in Utah; There aren't very many LDS psychiatrists (hello future clients!); there are SO many ways to run your practice (office, hospital, or both.  Few pts, lots of pts.  Teaching.  Giving seminars.); I liked how he runs his office - one office person and him - small overhead and he spends quality time with each patient.  Awesome awesome awesome!!!  It really pumped Jordan and I up.  I truly think he would make a fantastic psychiatrist.  

We spent Wednesday sleeping in and relaxing because everyone in my family was at work or school.  Jordan and I attended the Provo temple for a session, which was much needed.  We were able to attend Critter's viewing that evening.  It was such a heartbreaking experience.  His poor parents have been through so much, it really made my heart ache.  After the viewing, we went to Pizza Pie Cafe.  My brother Jared works there and got us in for free ;)  Ahh, perks are great!  He made us his "special" and then we came home and watched the rest of Avatar.

Thursday we slept in again (love it)!  We got all ready to head down to Moab and waited for everyone to come home from work/school.  We got on the road and as we were heading down Spanish Fork canyon, there was MAJOR traffic.  Turns out, a tanker carrying gas and a box truck carrying tires crashed into each other and were strewn all over the highway.  According to my dad, Highway 6 is the most dangerous road in America!  Scary.  We had to turn around and get to Moab through Scipio, then head east to Green River.  But thankfully we got in at a decent time.

Friday we got up bright and early to head to Fiery Furnace, my FAVORITE hike in Moab.  Seriously.  There is no set trail, and you have to have either been on it before to go in, or you have to have a ranger guide you.  Such a fun hike.  We got lost quite a few times (haha, Mom), but enjoyed the scenery!  After the hike we got Pizza Hut to begin the carb-loading for the race.  Jordan and I went swimming for a bit, then relaxed and waited for Jim and Wendy to get in.  They were smart and got Olive Garden take-out so that we wouldn't have to go to the insanely busy restaurants.  After dinner, Jordan, Jim, and I went to see John Carter at the luxurious "Slickrock Cinema".  The movie doesn't make sense at all, so don't see it.









Saturday (St. Patrick's Day) was the day of the Half Marathon!  Jordan and his parents got up early to walk to the bus pick-up.  I waited around the hotel until Jordan got in.  My mom, brother, and I cheered him on.  Considering how dang windy that day was, he came in strong at 1:38!  Jim came in at 2:16, and Wendy came in at 2:18.  We had to wait for their bag to come in, and then we headed back up to SLC.  Got some delicious steak at Texas Roadhouse, then came back to the house for dessert and to say goodbye to everyone.  We loved seeing all of you!

Sunday, we had some crepes for breakfast courtesy of Jim, and then drove to the airport.  The flight was uneventful and we got into Baltimore early!  We drove home and then went to bed early too.

I've worked Monday, Tuesday, and today.  Still in orientation, and it's going well.  I think I'll be done with orientation by next week.  Jordan started Women's Health and it's not his favorite subject.  I thought he would enjoy it because then he'll know why I'm crazy, haha!  He had the chance to do some physical exams on Monday and passed with flying colors!  

No comments: