10.04.2011

The ______ DMV

I really, really dislike the Virginia DMV.  More specifically, the downtown Richmond DMV.  Let me tell you my many adventures with this awful place.

In July, I realized that our Mazda had expired it's Utah registration.  What to do?  I asked Jim and Wendy if they would be willing to let us transfer the title to Virginia, and they very graciously agreed.

Step One: title mailed from Utah to Virginia.

Step Two: go to the DMV.

In early August, I took the title to the DMV after filling out all the appropriate spaces on the back saying that we were now the owners.  I waited in line.  I filled out the DMV's paperwork.  I was called to the desk.  The lady told me that since there was a very small error on the title that I had filled out, I had to have Jim sign the title again.  Sigh.

Step Three: title mailed from Virginia to Utah.

Step Four: title mailed from Utah to Virginia.

In early September, I took the re-written title to the DMV.  The lady at the front desk saw that it was in both Jordan and my names.
"Is Jordan Henderson here?"
"No, he is in school."
"Well, we need his signature on this form."

Step Five: get Jordan to sign the DMV's form.

On the third week in September, I took the forms from the DMV and the title to the DMV.  I again waited in line, and was called to the desk.  The same lady who I worked with the first time was there.  Great.  She looked at the title like I was hiding something.  (Really?  All I want is for you to go through this paperwork and let me get my car switched!)
"Oh, is this a salvaged vehicle?"
"Yes...."
"We don't do those here."
"You don't do salvaged vehicles in Virginia?!"
"We do, but you have to go to that counter over there.  The lady that does them is probably gone though because it's 5 PM now.  You can come back tomorrow."
I burst into tears.  I work nights!  I can't come back tomorrow!
"I have been here three times to get this car taken care of and now you're telling me to come back later!?  Why didn't the front desk lady tell me to go to that counter?"
"I don't know.  One minute..."
She comes back with her manager.
"What's wrong?"
"Well apparently I can't get my salvaged vehicle taken care of?"
"Go over to the security man and he'll page the lady for you overhead."
I walk over to the security man, still crying.
"I guess you're supposed to page someone for me?  I need the salvaged vehicles lady."
"Ok, go wait at that counter ma'am."
Walk over to the counter.  The security lady hands me a tissue.  After about an eternity of waiting, the salvaged vehicles lady comes over. (Thank GOODNESS she hadn't left for the day.)
"What's wrong?"
"I guess you need to look at my salvaged vehicle?  I'm trying to get it titled and registered!?!"
"I don't need to look at it, who told you that?  There are a lot of new people they just hired."
I hand her the paperwork, pay the money, and she tells me that Jim needs to fax a letter to her saying they gave us the car as a gift.  Holy cow.  After he faxed the letter, I need to call her, and then she'll put all the paperwork through.  THEN I need to come to the DMV again, and get the car registered.  Sigh.....

Step Six: Email letter to Jim to have faxed back to the DMV lady.

Step Seven: Call the DMV lady.

Step Eight: Wait for her to call back.

Step Nine: Call her on Friday to see if she finished the paperwork.

Step Ten: Call her on Monday.  She finished the paperwork.  It is titled, she lost my number so she couldn't call me.

Step Eleven: Go to the DMV.

I went to the DMV on Monday, waited in line, and was called up to the desk.  Told the lady I needed my car registered, and she looked the title up by SSN, I paid, and got my license plates.

What a waste of time!  It's over now though, and I won't have to deal with the Richmond DMV for a whole year!  Hallelujah!