1.30.2011

My Wife the Organist

I'm so proud that my wife and her new calling which brings music into the church every Sunday. I don't know if she's made this clear, but she's secretly wanted this calling ever since we moved into our Ward last Summer. She already had a great talent in playing the piano and wanted a chance to develop her skill playing the organ. I like her having this calling because they let me sit next to her so I don't have to sit alone in the congregation (at least until we have little munchkins of our own running around). Why would I want to sit on the stand? Well, for one thing we always have a place to sit, the chairs are more comfy, and I sit right behind the organ so no one can see me in case I ever nod off during sacrament meeting.

The calling is also a little hard on Melyn because it means she has to be to church extra early every Sunday. Every other week she works the Saturday night shift, so often she won't come home until after midnight. This gives her less than 7 hours to sleep (like today, for example). On top of that, she has only a couple hours after church until she has to go back to work again for her Sunday shift. But miracles sometimes happen like today when the power suddenly went off near the end of sacrament meeting. It never came back on, so the Bishop excused everyone to go home early. This meant Melyn would have time to take a nap before work. Melyn felt guilty about being happy about church ending early, but I told her that Heavenly Father had blessed her since she was so faithful in fulfilling her calling. Normally she would have to stay to the very end regardless because she also plays the piano for Relief Society. I didn't mind having time to take a nap either.

4 comments:

The Evers Family said...

Congrats on the calling Melyn!

The Peterson's said...

Jordan, you would see the upside to sitting on the stand.

Stelanie said...

I love the way you talk about your wife! :) Melanie

Jenae said...

Enjoy that 7 hours while it lasts! Munchkins seem to have an effect on that as well. :) But they're worth it!