10.30.2010

Dodged a bullet

Well, to follow up on the last post, it turns out my bike injury may have been more serious than I initially thought. That evening when I got ready for bed, I noticed my left hand and shoulder were still hurting pretty bad. Then I noticed that just above my wrist there was lots of swelling and bruising. Plus, it hurt a lot when I pressed directly on the bruise. Uh, oh. Those are classic signs of a fracture. I started to get real worried that I had broken my hand or wrist. On top of this, Melyn and I haven't had the greatest of luck this year with medical bills, starting with her visit to the ER last April. Our health insurance has a pretty high deductible, and though Melyn has a job, we obviously don't want another large expense this year. Plus, wrist fractures often require surgery. So I started to panic. On top of all this, I wouldn't be able to ride my bike to school!

I'd like to mention that when Melyn came home, she did a great job at cleaning me up and dressing my wounds (it's so nice to have a wife who's a nurse!).

The next morning I called the local clinic and was able to get an appointment with the doctor for that afternoon. They took some x-rays, did a physical exam, and to make a long story short: No fractures! The doctor told me, "You dodged a bullet." Yes, yes I did. The whole last night I was so mad about the whole thing, of possibly having a broken bone and to go through all the treatment that would require. I thought that since we had been so blessed for the last little while, it's certain that trials would come along too. In the morning I prayed that the injury would be as least serious as possible, but I honestly didn't believe that I could go through this incident without at least one broken bone. Oh me of little faith. Well, we're pretty happy to have gotten through this ok and excited for the Halloween weekend. Melyn is off work today and tomorrow. Sweet!

2 comments:

The Peterson's said...

I am so happy. I wish we were there to support you more often.

The Evers Family said...

Good news! We'd love to see you guys. Give us a call today.