9.05.2009

Addicted to Running

I think Jordan is addicted to running. Which is by no means a bad thing! I am SO glad he has an outlet of some type to get rid of his stress from school, applying to med school, and life in general. Running is so healthy for you - in fact, I am not terribly worried about Jordan's health in the future, because he runs so often. He will wake up at 0547 (exactly, not an even number, which bothers me. oh well :) to get ready for Westminster XC. See the link at the top of this post; Jordan is on the header of the mens XC website! His coach is someone new this year, who we believe has great promise in taking both the mens and womens teams to a new level. In addition, the men have EIGHT people running! Twice as many as last year!

As exciting as this all is, I am basically rambling about Westminster's team and not Jordan's love of running. Let me get back on track.

There must be something very instinctual about running. From the time we are young, we begin running - not only to run away from someone, but to play and enjoy ourselves. There is something exhilarating about running. I once asked Jordan what makes him love running so much, and he replyed, "It is the feeling of going fast." Speeding by pedestrians is indeed very fun. Maybe we should call it "funning."

I however, do not particularly enjoy running at this point in my life. It is not "fun" to me right now. Despite this aversion I currently have, I very much used to enjoy running as a member of the Westminster Womens XC team. I am by no means good at it, I simply enjoyed that exhilarating feeling of flying past still objects. :) Reaching a goal you thought you wouldn't be able to do is very powerful. One of my favorite quotes that applies is:

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny. - Elaine Maxwell

Maybe someday I will get back into running. I am very glad that Jordan is going to continue "as long as [his] joints hold out." I don't really know why I posted this, or if it even makes any sense. So take it as you will.

No comments: